Current:Home > StocksNevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case -InfiniteWealth
Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
SafeX Pro View
Date:2025-04-07 03:23:49
LAS VEGAS (AP) — A slate of six Nevada Republicans have again been charged with submitting a bogus certificate to Congressthat declared Donald Trump the winner of the presidential battleground’s 2020 election.
Nevada Attorney General Aaron Ford announced Thursday that the state’s fake electors casehad been revived in Carson City, the capital, where he filed a new complaint this week charging the defendants with “uttering a forged instrument,” a felony. The original indictment was dismissed earlier this yearafter a state judge ruled that Clark County, the state’s most populous county and home to Las Vegas, was the wrong venue for the case.
Ford, a Democrat, said the new case was filed as a precaution to avoid the statute of limitations expiring while the Nevada Supreme Court weighs his appeal of the judge’s ruling.
“While we disagree with the finding of improper venue and will continue to seek to overturn it, we are preserving our legal rights in order to ensure that these fake electors do not escape justice,” Ford said. “The actions the fake electors undertook in 2020 violated Nevada criminal law and were direct attempts to both sow doubt in our democracy and undermine the results of a free and fair election. Justice requires that these actions not go unpunished.”
Officials have said it was part of a larger scheme across seven battleground states to keep Trump in the White House after losing to Democrat Joe Biden. Criminal cases have also been brought in Michigan, Georgiaand Arizona.
Trump lost in 2020to Biden by more than 30,000 votes in Nevada. An investigation by then-Nevada Secretary of State Barbara Cegavske, a Republican, found no credible evidence of widespread voter fraud in the state.
The defendants are state GOP chair Michael McDonald; Clark County GOP chair Jesse Law; national party committee member Jim DeGraffenreid; national and Douglas County committee member Shawn Meehan; Storey County clerk Jim Hindle; and Eileen Rice, a party member from the Lake Tahoe area.
In an emailed statement to The Associated Press, McDonald’s attorney, Richard Wright, called the new complaint a political move by a Democratic state attorney general who also announced Thursday he plans to run for governor in 2026.
“We will withhold further comment and address the issues in court,” said Wright, who has spoken often in court on behalf of all six defendants.
Attorneys for the others did not immediately respond to emails seeking comment.
Their lawyers previously argued that Ford improperly brought the case before a grand jury in Democratic-leaning Las Vegas instead of in a northern Nevada city, where the alleged crimes occurred.
___
Associated Press writer Ken Ritter in Las Vegas contributed to this report.
Disclaimer: The copyright of this article belongs to the original author. Reposting this article is solely for the purpose of information dissemination and does not constitute any investment advice. If there is any infringement, please contact us immediately. We will make corrections or deletions as necessary. Thank you.
veryGood! (1675)
Related
- Whoopi Goldberg is delightfully vile as Miss Hannigan in ‘Annie’ stage return
- Remember that looming recession? Not happening, some economists say
- High rents outpace federal disability payments, leaving many homeless
- World Hunger Rises with Climate Shocks, Conflict and Economic Slumps
- Who's hosting 'Saturday Night Live' tonight? Musical guest, how to watch Dec. 14 episode
- 2015: The Year the Environmental Movement Knocked Out Keystone XL
- What are your chances of catching monkeypox?
- How King Charles III's Coronation Differs From His Mom Queen Elizabeth II's
- NHL in ASL returns, delivering American Sign Language analysis for Deaf community at Winter Classic
- Today’s Climate: June 9, 2010
Ranking
- Cincinnati Bengals quarterback Joe Burrow owns a $3 million Batmobile Tumbler
- The heartbreak and cost of losing a baby in America
- How to show your friends you love them, according to a friendship expert
- See Kaia Gerber Join Mom Cindy Crawford for an Epic Reunion With ‘90s Supermodels and Their Kids
- Paula Abdul settles lawsuit with former 'So You Think You Can Dance' co
- CNN chief executive Chris Licht has stepped down
- Why were the sun and moon red Tuesday? Wildfire smoke — here's how it recolors the skies
- Pregnant Bachelor Nation Star Becca Kufrin Reveals Sex of First Baby With Fiancé Thomas Jacobs
Recommendation
Sam Taylor
ALS drug's approval draws cheers from patients, questions from skeptics
Traffic Deaths Are At A 20-Year High. What Makes Roads Safe (Or Not)?
Family Dollar recalls Colgate products that were improperly stored
McConnell absent from Senate on Thursday as he recovers from fall in Capitol
Volkswagen relaunches microbus as electric ID. Buzz
Today’s Climate: June 1, 2010
Why Queen Camilla's Coronation Crown Is Making Modern History